Instant Replay had its first touchdown play reversed last week as the AHSAA’s DVSport Instant Replay program completed its sixth week of the 2018 season.
AHSAA Director of Officials Mark Jones reported four challenges from five games with one challenge reversed.
Central-Phenix City challenged a touchdown pass by Park Crossing at the 7:37 mark of third period. The Thunderbirds were facing and second down and 2 at the Central 3-yard line when a touchdown was signaled on the ensuing pass play. After review, which took only a minute and 39 seconds, it was determined the receiver never had possession of the ball and it the ground prior to possession. The touchdown was nullified. Central was penalized for illegal substitution on the play and the ball was moved half the distance to the goal and set for replay of second down.
None of the other three challenges, one by Minor versus Auburn, one by Lawrence County versus Decatur and one by Athens versus East Limestone, were reversed with the calls on the field stood as called. Two games using Instant Replay had no challenges.
On the season there has been Instant Replay in 36 games with a total of 28 challenges with five overturned – a percentage of 17.9%. This week there will be six games using DVSport Instant Replay, all on Friday, Sept. 28.
Seven games are slated to utilize DVSport Instant Replay this week with Vestavia Hills hosting its first game using instant replay Friday versus Hewitt-Trussville. A total of eight schools will be participating in the project this week for the first time, including: (4A) Elmore County; (5A)Arab and Jackson; (7A) Enterprise, Hewitt-Trussville, Spain Park, Sparkman and Vestavia Hills.
Nine games are slated to use instant replay Oct. 12 with eight more schools participating for the first time – bringing the total by week eight to 60.
Those games, with classification of each school, include:
FRIDAY, OCT. 5
· Arab (5A) at East Limestone (5A)
· Elmore County (4A) at Handley (4A), Roanoke
· Enterprise (7A) at Central-Phenix City (7A)
· Hewitt-Trussville (7A) at Vestavia Hills (7A)
· Jackson (5A) at Thomasville (3A)
· Sparkman (7A) at Austin (7A), Decatur
· Spain Park (7A) at Thompson (7A), Alabaster
FRIDAY, OCT. 12
· Benjamin Russell (6A) at Wetumpka (6A)
· Haleyville (4A) at Good Hope (4A)
· Jackson-Olin (6A) at Pelham (6A)
· Lee-Montgomery (7A) at Central (7A), Phenix City
· Phillips (1A) at Hackleburg (1A)
· Shades Valley (6A) at Oxford (7A)
· Smiths Station (7A) at Auburn (7A)
· Vestavia Hills (7A) at Thompson (7A), Alabaster
· Walker (5A) at Lawrence County (5A), Moulton